SOFIA, BULGARIA – Chaos Group has announced a major new release of its all-in-one fluid dynamics plugin, Phoenix FD 3.0 for 3ds Max.
Frequently used to simulate realistic water, fire, and other fluid effects for multiple television series such as Game of Thrones and The Flash, Phoenix FD has been significantly upgraded for fast-paced productions. With its new FLIP liquid solver and improved smoke and fire solver, Phoenix FD is now able to bring more realism to visual effects projects.
Phoenix FD 3.0 for 3ds Max has been given a full makeover, with new intuitive controls, presets and GPU-accelerated previews. The new Phoenix FD integrates seamlessly into Autodesk 3ds Max and renders with V-Ray, Chaos Group’s industry-standard lighting and rendering solution.
Highlights of Phoenix FD 3.0 for 3ds Max include:
- Infinite ocean – Create infinite ocean waves that never repeat.
- Ocean & beach waves – Seamlessly transition from procedural ocean waves to simulated beach waves.
- Advanced simulations and controls
- FLIP solver – Enables faster, more realistic liquid simulations for splashes, sprays, foam, mist and waves.
- Improved fire and smoke solver – Realistic smoke and fire with natural rolling motion and fine details can be created without increasing resolution.
- Cascade simulations – Create a series of simulations that trigger and interact with each other.
- Refine existing simulations – Add detail and increase resolution without changing simulation shape or behavior.
- Simulation retiming – Speed up or slow down simulation playback, perfect for slow motion effects.
- Custom emission sources – Use a wide range of emission sources including animated meshes, texture maps, particles and more.
- New forces – Influence simulations with forces like wind, spline follow, and mesh attraction.
Pipeline and compatibility
- Compatibility – Compatible with top industry tools such as Alembic, Krakatoa, Stoke MX and OpenVDB.
Phoenix FD 3.0 is available now for Autodesk 3ds Max and is a free upgrade for all Phoenix FD 2.x customers. A Phoenix FD 3.0 for 3ds Max Workstation license is $830 and includes one floating user license and one floating simulation license. Additional simulation licenses are available for $210.