BEVERLY HILLS — The Scientific and Technical Awards Committee of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announced that seven scientific and technical achievements have been selected for further awards consideration.
The list is made public to allow individuals and companies with similar devices or claims of prior art the opportunity to submit their achievements for review. The deadline to submit additional entries is Tuesday, August 28, at 11:59 pm PT. The committee has selected the following methods or devices for further consideration:
- Tissue: A physically-based character simulation framework (Weta Digital)
- Zviz: Previsualization system (Lucasfilm)
- Light: Lighting tool (PDI Dreamworks)
- Wavelet turbulence for fluid simulation (University of California, Santa Barbara)
- Planar tracking: mocha and Enabling Technology (Imagineer Systems Ltd.)
- Cine VCLX portable power system (Anton/Bauer)
- Matthews MAX menace arm (Matthews Studio Equipment)
After thorough investigations are conducted on each of the entries, the committee will meet in early December to vote on recommendations to the Academy's Board of Governors, which will make the final awards decisions. The 2012 Scientific and Technical Awards will be presented at the Beverly Wilshire Hotel in Beverly Hills on February 9, 2013. Claims of prior art or similar technology must be submitted on the Academy’s website at oscars.org/awards/scitech/apply.html.