NewTek, provider of 3D animation and video products, has announced NewTek LightWave 10, the next generation of its professional 3D modeling, animation, and rendering software. LightWave 10, combining CORE Technology with enhanced Modeler and Layout, is being considered the most extensive upgrade in years to LightWave’s production-proven workflow.
LightWave 10’s new features and benefits include a photoreal real-time version of the VPR (Viewport Preview Renderer) and advanced, real-time CG hardware viewport shading, delivering Anaglyph Stereo, Ambient Occlusion, Transparency, Refractions, and Bloom.
LightWave 10 will also offer new immersive real-time virtual cinematography and game development tools, which evolved as a result of the virtual cinematic production techniques that were pioneered by leading Hollywood artists and technicians for films like Avatar, Tintin, and A Christmas Carol. For production studios and more advanced individuals, this immersive technology includes integrated support for the InterSense VCam virtual camera system. LightWave 10 also boasts integrated support for 3Dconnexion’s complete line of 3D mice, providing directors and artists the ability to interact in real time within a 3D set.
LightWave 10 offers the following new elements:
Interactive Display and Rendering Tools:
- Viewport Preview Rendering (VPR) - See instant results with realistic view of
scenes and objects with interactive light, nodal shading and scene set up
- CG hardware real-time viewport shading - Real-time OpenGL view of Ambient
Occlusion, Bloom, Stereoscopic Anaglyph and HDRI background images
- Linear workflow - Supports consistent gamma, color space, and custom Look Up
Tables (LUTs) for more realistic lighting, and to maximize compositing
flexibility in a professional pipeline
Flexible Data Interchange Enhancements:
- MDD with new enhancements and support for the Autodesk® Geometry Cache -
Freedom to move deformations and transforms between applications allowing for an
extremely flexible, extensible pipeline for animation, dynamics, effects, and
- COLLADA, FBX, and ZBrush interchange – Transfer, load and save camera data,
lighting, objects, UV and image maps, plus parenting hierarchies, etc.
New Immersive, Real-Time and Game Tools:
- Support for InterSense VCam, virtual camera system – Virtual production
capabilities all for real-time interaction with 3D scenes
- Support for 3Dconnexion line of 3D mouse - Move through the virtual world and
interact with models and scenes, controlling cameras and lights in real time
Bullet Rigid Body Dynamics:
- Integrated dynamics and simulations - Create dynamics, calculations and
simulations for effects such as collapsing buildings, breaking glass, etc.
Advanced UV Mapping Tools:
- Enhanced LightWave workflow with powerful new UV tools such as Transform,
Scale Rotate, Move, Separate, Stitch, Relax, UV Unwrap, Front, Cubic, Spherical
and Cylindrical projections, plus cameras with both UVs and an automated texture
LightWave 10 will begin shipping in Q4 2010. Artists may gain access to preview builds of LightWave 10 immediately through NewTek SIGGRAPH special offers.
- LightWave v9 for US$895, which includes a free upgrade to LightWave 10 and
membership in LightWave HardCORE with immediate access to preview builds of
- LightWave v9 upgrade for US$495, which includes a free upgrade to LightWave 10
and membership in LightWave HardCORE with immediate access to preview builds of
- LightWave HardCORE membership for US$495, which includes a free upgrade to
LightWave 10 and membership in LightWave HardCORE with immediate access to
preview builds of LightWave 10
When LightWave 10 ships in Q4 2010 it will be available for a suggested retail
price of US$1,495. LightWave 10 upgrades will be available for US$695.
Educational pricing is also available.