"Production Design in the 21st Century" will be hosted by two of the Academy's Art Directors branch governors, production designer Jim Bissell ("300," "Confessions of a Dangerous Mind") and set decorator Rosemary Brandenburg ("Public Enemies," "Transformers"). Special guests for part two include production designers William Creber ("The Poseidon Adventure," 1972; "Planet of the Apes," 1968), Lilly Kilvert ("Valkyrie," "The Last Samurai") and Alex McDowell ("Watchmen," "Fight Club") as well as set decorator Beth Rubino ("It's Complicated," "American Gangster"). The panel will give examples of unforgettable instances when dramatic design surged to the forefront of the storytelling process. The session will feature film clips and open discussion between the evening's special guests and members of the audience. The schedule for subsequent sessions is as follows, with all participants subject to availability:
May 9: Set Decoration and the Design Collaboration. Production designers and set decorators discuss their collaborative process.
- Jim Bissell, production designer, and Jan Pascale, set decorator ("Leatherheads," "Good Night, and Good Luck.")
- Lauri Gaffin, set decorator ("Iron Man," "The Pursuit of Happyness")
- Lilly Kilvert, production designer ("Valkyrie," "The Last Samurai")
- Alex McDowell, production designer, and Anne Kuljian, set decorator ("The Terminal," "Minority Report")
- Jeannine Oppewall, production designer, and Jay Hart, set decorator ("Pleasantville," "L.A. Confidential")
- Victor J. Zolfo, set decorator ("The Social Network," "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button")
May 16: The Criteria for Good Production Design. Production designers and set decorators discuss what they look for in their peers' work as hallmarks of great creative design.
Admission for the remaining evenings of "Evolution or Revolution? Production Design in the 21st Century," if available, is $10 at the door. Doors open at 6 p.m. The Linwood Dunn Theater is located at 1313 Vine Street in Hollywood. For more information, visit
- Jim Erickson, set decorator ("Watchmen," "There Will Be Blood")
- Alex McDowell, production designer ("Watchmen," "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory"
- Jeannine Oppewall, production designer ("Pleasantville," "L.A. Confidential")