Santa Clara, Calif. - Assimilate has introduced Scratch Lab, its digital lab tool for on-location workflows and VFX dailies pipelines.
Released simultaneously on Mac OS X and Windows 7 and priced at $4,995 USD, Scratch Lab is an end-to-end digital system for the review, versioning, color correction, conform, and deliverables of dailies created during production, or the VFX process. Scratch Lab can be deployed across a broad range of tasks on 2D and 3D stereo projects up to 5K resolution and beyond.
Scratch Lab is paired with Scratch Six, Assimilate's high-performance, digital cinema, and broadcast finishing tool for RED and high-end digital workflows.
When used on-location for a digital shoot, Scratch Lab replaces the photochemical lab. Its speed and real-time capabilities deliver time savings for DITs, data wranglers, colorists, VFX teams, DPs, directors, and producers.
Scratch Lab can organize the digital negative by day, unit, camera, scene, shot, or take, and allows an unlimited number of versions in a single view, without import or rendering. It supports popular RAW camera formats, and carries scene, take, audio, and 3D stereo convergence metadata through the entire project. To aid clear communication between the set and other departments, Scratch Lab also offers review and comment tools, such as remote review via HTML, and "Sticky Notes" that allow comments from any reviewer to be viewed throughout the project.
In VFX dailies pipelines, Scratch Lab is optimized for DPX, OpenEXR, RAW, and all other popular review/deliverable formats, and can playback resolutions of up to 5K in real time. Scratch Lab can be automated to perform difficult or repetitive tasks, such as selecting aspect ratios or correcting frame offsets. XML support facilitates smooth integration with even complex media databases, to load thousands of media clips per day, regardless of format, codec, or resolution.
Scratch Lab's tool set includes:
- Broad range of input/output formats for 2D/3D stereo, native RED RAW.R3D, ARRI RAW, Phantom, Panasonic P2, DSLRs, plus DNxHD MXF, AVCHD, DPX, and QT inc ProRes* (*Mac OS version only)
- Real-time playback at up to 5K and beyond, with audio sync
- Powerful, interactive Primary Grading tool set, including curves
- Unlimited, non-destructive versioning
- Full 1D, 3D LUT and CDL support
- Fast, accurate and flexible conform with Dual-View, Half-Mix and Side-by-Side comparisons, plus Quick Keys for moving through timelines and edit tools for shot manipulation
- Support for Avid's Artist Color and Tangent Wave and CP 200 panels
- Powerful, integrated 3D stereo tools
- Process automation and integration with other applications via XML
- Remote review and comment via HTML
Automated HTML deliverable templates to simultaneous outputs based on format, metadata, and LUTs/grades