Milan - Neptuny, provider for IT Performance Optimization, Capacity, and Virtualization Planning solution, today launches Caplan 3.3. The latest version provides relevant new features and major improvements in several key areas, mainly to improve the ability to manage virtualized environments and to support virtualization initiatives, in addition to some minor features and new out-of-the-box connectors.
Caplan 3.3 new features include:
- Virtualization Planning
- Benchmark Management
- Tagging, Filtering and Searching enhancement
- Integration of new data sources
Caplan 3.3 provides two major features for supporting real-life virtualization planning:
Moreover, Caplan 3.3 also extends the ability to manage VMware ESX environments, including Resource Pool and DataStore related metrics, support for vApps, and for tracking events such as DRS migrations.
- ability to simulate future placements (of both physical and virtual candidates) based on historical trends of resource consumptions and workloads
- ability to take also storage space constraints based on defined DataStores to identify the optimal allocation scenarios and to simulate DataStores configuration changes
Caplan 3.3 provides additional benchmark management capabilities, such as the ability to upload and then use custom benchmarks in the same way as the standard benchmarks (e.g. SPEC or TCP-C) already included as out-of-the-box by Caplan.
Easiness of use
Caplan 3.3 introduces further enhancements is terms of easiness of use, in particular to enable users to more flexibly tag, filter, search, group and manage entities to be included in capacity management activities.
More in detail, improvements for tagging are:
for filtering are:
- ability to manually tag Entities, Domains, Analyses, Models and Reports
- ability to define configurable Tagging Rules (e.g. based on configuration metrics, regular expressions, ...) to automatically tag Entities, Domains, Analyses, Models and Reports
- ability to easily define actionable groups of entities (aka Entity Filters) for both Systems and Workloads also based on results of dynamically executed search queries
- ability to leverage Entity Filters definitions, e.g. to define the scope of Analyses
for searching are:
Integration of new data sources
- ability to search by tag
- ability to search also Analyses, Models, Reports, Domains in addition to Systems and Workloads
- ability to search by using advanced filtering (e.g. server:name) and conditional expressions
Caplan 3.3 includes also several new and updated out-of-the-box connectors, such as:
- IBM Tivoli Monitoring (ITM): updated to ITM v6 and expanded to support additional Unix and Windows metrics
- VMWare vCenter: improved and updated to version (2.5) of vCenter API.